Emerald Guard Forum Index
<  Strategies and Guides  ~  Grouping 101
Adeena
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:48 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

http://lapetina.us/website/wow/group101.htm

Found this flash site with some grouping basics, thought it was pretty neat, hope someone can find it useful. It's all pretty basic knowledge I think, but for those who may not have a MMOG background this is stuff that'll keep you off blacklists eheh...

I was considering starting a thread here for each class and some basic roles, but I don't want to come off as some sort of evil dictator telling everyone how to play their game... Any ideas/suggestions?
Kalielar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:33 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

Adeena wrote:
http://lapetina.us/website/wow/group101.htm

Found this flash site with some grouping basics, thought it was pretty neat, hope someone can find it useful. It's all pretty basic knowledge I think, but for those who may not have a MMOG background this is stuff that'll keep you off blacklists eheh...

I was considering starting a thread here for each class and some basic roles, but I don't want to come off as some sort of evil dictator telling everyone how to play their game... Any ideas/suggestions?

Wow, excellent link (purdy too)! Thank you for posting it -- I totally could have used that when I first started, but I learned the really hard way which involved lots of cussing and yelling and poking. (And not just from you, Adeena, hehe. I actually was a motherless ogre in the very beginning until you straightened me out.) So, I highly recommend that everyone thoroughly explore this link, both those new and old to WoW (consider it a refesher course). Even if you have a good handle on your role in a party situation, the 'Strategy' section alone is really useful for tackling multiple mobs. Study it, learn it, love it, tattoo it on the back of your hand.

And for those that are new to MMOG and WoW in general (and hey, I still consider myself new to the genre two months later and at a level 50), please read the Allakhazam Guide to Quests, Parties and Instances. Also, please (PLZ!!! even) read Blizzard's Guide to Dungeons - it is a must read which includes party roles, the art of pulling, and party crowd control. Know what your job will be. Ask if you are unsure.

Finally, Adeena, as for coming off as an Evil Dictator, I already knew that you had the tendency when we formed the guild together. That's why you were chosen as Captain of the Emerald Guard, because you kick ass and you have good leadership qualities. (Hey if I wanted a sweet and charming Captain, I would have named myself, hehe.) The Prefect deals with the paperwork, soldiers' wages, political strategies (aka forming alliances with other guilds for end game raids), and moral support (shoulder to lean on, someone to laugh with, someone to spoon with -- whatever) -- all that beaurocratic and diplomatic business. But it's the Captain's duty to strategize plans of attack, advise the regiment on how to do their jobs, and keep all our soldiers lean, mean fighting machines.

So go forth Captain and lead the Emerald Guard....... TO VICTORY!!!!!

/salute

(* That speech basically means, please go ahead and post a basic class role guide -- that would be excellent. And as for everyone else, please pay heed to Adeena's guidance. Ade's a well-trained and very experienced player with a skabillion alts, and a lot of history with all kinds of MMOs, so she actually does know how to play every class, and she does it well.)

Tryxx
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:24 am  Reply with quote

Personally I would *love* your advice on how best to play rogues, paladins and hunters (everyone else'll just have to wait their turn! Wink. I've read a lot and can solo pretty proficiently but I still feel like a complete n00b when it comes to grouping (esp in dungeons). Mostly I find myself just following your lead, 'cause you can pull like nobody's business, and it seems we hardly need to sap (what with us all being so kick-ass) so I pretty much hack and slash the bejeezus out of things. When I solo I have time to think and strategize, but when I group I mostly spam buttons because I have to run after things to make sure they die quickly and don't eat the healer. I suppose I should learn to be more tactical, ahem.

That flash thingie was fascinating, actually, because it suggested that rogues should be backstabbing (in groups), I guess to keep the aggro on the tank -- of course just when I switched to a main-hand sword (and got rid of my backstab button, heh). Is it worth it to keep a dagger on hand for this, do you think?

::waits wide-eyed::
Adeena
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:57 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

Tryxx wrote:

Personally I would *love* your advice on how best to play rogues, paladins and hunters (everyone else'll just have to wait their turn! Wink. I've read a lot and can solo pretty proficiently but I still feel like a complete n00b when it comes to grouping (esp in dungeons). Mostly I find myself just following your lead, 'cause you can pull like nobody's business, and it seems we hardly need to sap (what with us all being so kick-ass) so I pretty much hack and slash the bejeezus out of things. When I solo I have time to think and strategize, but when I group I mostly spam buttons because I have to run after things to make sure they die quickly and don't eat the healer. I suppose I should learn to be more tactical, ahem.

That flash thingie was fascinating, actually, because it suggested that rogues should be backstabbing (in groups), I guess to keep the aggro on the tank -- of course just when I switched to a main-hand sword (and got rid of my backstab button, heh). Is it worth it to keep a dagger on hand for this, do you think?

::waits wide-eyed::

Dagger rogues are nice for BIG openers, can chain a from stealth alpha for a considerable amount of damage with a dagger in your main hand and lose many of these options with a sword. Though I hear combat spec'd rogues with swords have it going on, but I believe its good damage spread out over the fight, instead of a huge opener then sort of a trickle...

What I have going on with my rogue is I have swords and a dagger, I like to solo with the swords, but if I want a big opener, for pvp, or I'm grouped I'll use a dagger for the ambush. There are weapon changing mods out there, mostly for warriors, but rogues use them too. I recently came accross one that actually worked with 'modes' so if you stealth, it'll swap out for your dagger, and when you become visible it'll replace your sword... Guess it depends what you like, I think for grouping dungeons, if everyone is focused on one mob it doesn't really matter one way or the other to be honest... Though I have to admit, there is something about opening up with an attack that can drop some trash mobs 50% that tickles me.

As far as aggro, I know my rogue pulls aggro sometimes two times per fight (depending of course) but I just use 'feign' and it works amazingly well... Assuming I'm not the only one hitting the mob anyhow eheh.

And sap rocks! I think it's mostly my fault when we're out that it doesn't get used, I never stop to think about all the tools in our toybox, and sort of shoot first and think later.

Do you use any sort of DPS counter? May be worth looking into how big of a difference using your swords over daggers makes... Try the 'damage meter' mod, or any DPS mod you may have built into your UI. Oh an I've also found the 'stun watch' and 'energy watch' mods very useful for my rogue. Stun watch just simply rocks, puts up a bar sort of like a casting bar after a sap or a gouge, it's nice seeing visually about how long I have left before my stuns break... And energy watch is just a more visual thing for us timing impared to see when we're going to get our next 'tick' of energy.
Tryxx
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

Oh right, feign! I always forget I can do that, hehe. Luckily Tulo is good at that growl thing she does...

You know what else I have but seems to never work -- I'm probably just using it incorrectly -- is distract. It never distracts anyone away from me (not for more than a half a second anyway), and I'm not really sure what it's purpose is.

I'm alas not combat spec'd -- I'm mostly all subtlety ('cause I like to sneak into places way above my level and see how long it takes 'til someone sees me), and my most effective shots (as far as I can tell) are saps, cheap shot, eviscerate, kidney, ss and hemhorrage (a lovely instant DOT). And I threw a couple into kick so I can be sure to get those casters to quit wavin' their arms around.

I never upped my ambush or backstab talents partly because they appeared to do very little damage in comparison to my other choices -- which is why I switched to a sword, it seemed kind of pointless to hold on to a dagger for a couple of tricks that weren't all that effective. Of course this just means I'm doing it wrong, sigh.

I'm not *too* upset however because this gives me an excuse to hunt for the perfect new dagger, mwahaha! It's all about shopping.

The stun meter and energy meter add-ons sound really useful -- I get a little distracted by too much on my screen but it has to be better than repeatedly angling the view while fighting to make sure the guy next to me is still sapped.

I'm not sure if it's the slightly higher damage on my sword or what, but I seem to be killing things a lot faster with the sword/dagger combo as opposed to the 2 daggers. Of course all bets are off when my beautiful purple shadow-bolting Shadowblade drops off a basilisk. (Let me dream.)

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
Adeena
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:10 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

eheh, feign is the only way I know of to get rid of aggro, shy of a vanish. I know after a brutal opener just one good feign gets the heat of me, so I swear by it.

Distract puzzles me too... What I've used it for though was to get the mobs to turn around for me to backstab. Some times I'm in such a spot where I can't sneak around them, and sneaking over to them for say a sap is going to get me detected. So I'll throw a distract right behind them, they turn, and I can stealth in and get my backstab/sap off...

Not sure how your approach is, but I try to be a stun lock wantabee... I ambush, gouge... Go around and backstab, then Sinister strike them to death with a evis when I get 5 dots... If it lasts longer I'll gouge and backstab again. Gouging then going around for another backstab really takes it off em... Other than setting up for a backstab the only other thing I use gouge for is a second or two to bandage up.

eheh, yea stun watch and energy watch default position is right smack dab in the middle of the screen. But you can move them both around to where ever you need/want them...