Emerald Guard Forum Index
<  Off-Topic General Discussions  ~  Any computer wizzes out there?
Sefid
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:15 am  Reply with quote
Druid

you know thinking about that comic why the hell do they show macs as young? the damn apple company is older than PCs. apple was selling PCs long before anyone else.

funny though. Very Happy
Kalielar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:33 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

Haha, you're right there Sefid.

I'm probably gonna bore ya guys silly with the following über nerd-manifesto, so I'll try not to ramble on too much (or you can just skip it). I'm a photographer and graphic designer, and I'm coincidentally Apple Certified because I worked at an Apple Authorized company, so I'm rather biased on the topic, but here's my 2 cents. (I apologize if any of the following sounds pompous, as that's not my intention.)

It really wasn't until the release of the first colorful iMacs that Macs were priced and marketed to the average consumer. Before that, because of build and parts, Macintosh computers used to cost significantly more than PCs. The average price of a Mac used to be $3000 and up. No wonder most people didn't buy them!

What kept Apple alive was the professional graphic design and entertainment industries (both of which happens to be what I work in, hence my bias). Before cross-platform PDFs came along, the majority of high-end printing companies, photo labs and other professional service bureaus only accepted Macintosh files, thus making it the standard platform for that specific industry. (Trust me, early in my career I tried to submit a client's project as a PC Corel file, and I was forced to redesign it in Quark on a Mac when the printing company couldn't open PC files.)

So due to pricing and marketing back then, the cost-prohibitive Macs were relegated to the professional creative market, while PCs became the staple for the much broader and significantly larger consumer and general business markets. This is why games were mostly created for PCs, and rarely Macs -- because it's more profitable to create and distribute home-entertainment software for the larger demographic. The trade off was that Macs had more design-specific and video-editing software than PCs at that time. (The lines are of course getting more and more blurred every year.) The point is, in terms of scope, Apple has always been the underdog to Microsoft and the PC world, and survives through the loyalty of a significantly smaller demographic.

I believe this is why they portray the old guy for PC and young guy for Macs -- because PCs are the standard computer in an office/banking/general environment proliferated by 'suits', while Macs have spent their entire history catering to the creative professional, aka the 'jeans-at-work' niche. Even though the markets are shifting a little now, Apple wrote their Think Different manifesto specifically acknowledging that their product was for a smaller, different audience.

So.... with the creation of the first colorful consumer-driven iMacs, Apple got their foot into the consumer market and started to make even more affordable Macs thus expanding their market share and raising their stock value in the last decade. And finally, their invention of the cross-platform iPod and early licensing for iTunes is what really seals the deal in their place within the consumer market itself. Now with OS X and the fact that the new machines are Intel-based and can run both Mac and Windows operating systems, I think Apple's footprint in the consumer market will be more and more defined.

Anyhow, like I said, I have both a PC and Mac. I use the PC occasionally to check for cross-platform stability and color shifting of my work for clients, but for my creative work and daily gaming/browsing use, I simply prefer the UI of the Mac. Not saying it's better really, it's just my preference. So yeah, I don't get to play Neverwinter Nights 2 until about 6-months after everyone else, but the Mac helps me get my work done, so as a tool, it works well for me.

The Mac vs PC debate is pretty much futile, like debating what's better, Canon or Nikon. Both cameras would take nearly identical pictures, but I prefer the Nikons because I like where the button placements are.

I think both Mac and PC have a place in the world. Ultimately, I think people should go with what works for them.

Kalielar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:56 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

p.s. I just want to add that I <3 Kevin Rose who built a Mac/PC hybrid a few years before the Intel-Macs:

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/39123/Monster_Machine_G4PC_Hybrid.html

Hack the plaaaanet!

Adeena
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:12 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

Darcloak wrote:
I'm bumping this, because I'm looking for a virus scanner that doesnt charge money. I dont really want to pay to update Norton Antivirus. And I suspect I'm not getting the full protection with this un-updated copy.
Any ideas?

Trend Micro has a free online scanner, takes care of most virus/spyware/grayware/malware stuff and its free.... You can of course pay for some uh, something or other, or you can just use it FREE! eheh

http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp

Kalielar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:20 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

ADEEEEEENAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Surprised

We've all missed you and your laugh (and your icon)... like woah.

Serandriel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:51 am  Reply with quote
Priest

:O

It's Ade!

Hey Ade! *waves* Miss ya!