Emerald Guard Forum Index
<  Guild Information and Membership  ~  Guild Channel Enforcement
Kalielar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:44 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

ANNOUNCEMENT: Guild Channel Enforcement

In recent weeks, the guild channel vibe has notably changed from the usual relaxed and friendly atmosphere to one of unnecessary, sometimes hostile, tension. I am generally a tolerant person with what some may say a 'saintly patience', but even I have my limits as to what is acceptable behavior within guild chat. Recently I have received a number of complaints of people feeling attacked and ill at ease, and that is simply unacceptable.

Though many of you know me as benevolent guildmaster, and all around Zen-feelin' and free-loving-hippy-Druid, be not fooled for I will wield my mighty iron hammer of discipline when need be. So due to the recent altercations, I am taking this opportunity to bluntly address certain issues (and recite passages from the guild charter like Taoist mantras). Frankly, the guild chakra is misaligned, and I will do what I can to restore it to its former cooperative glory.

I apologize in advance for however harsh this may appear to some, as it is not my intention to chastise or vilify anyone, but rather to enlighten in the ways of joyful social interaction.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

#1) R.E.S.P.E.C.T.:

For the most part, I turn a blind eye towards anyone's behavior outside of the guild -- what you do in Azeroth is your business. But in guild chat, I expect a certain level of maturity and courtesy. Griefing fellow guildmates is not okay. And not just because it's a ToS offense, but because it's not cool.

Unless you are BFF with someone, please do not sling insults or slurs, no matter how funny/ironic/silly/witty/cute you think you are. Even if the intentions are innocent or misguided, please be considerate of people's feelings and personal boundaries. People generally don't want to be insulted or yelled at in all-caps the second they log on to play. It's one thing to jest lovingly, it's another thing to come off as spiteful and deprecatory.

So please respect your fellow guildmates and understand that there are limitations to joking around. You make better friendships through friendliness rather than snarkiness. And sweetness PWNs obnoxiousness any day of the week.

"Respect, common sense etiquette and fair play are key factors in remaining and advancing in the guild."

Good points from Gnomeland Security's Code of Conduct:
• Treat each other as you want to be treated. In other words, remember, there is a real person on the other end of the computer, and they are trying to have fun too.
• We do not tolerate any language that denigrates another’s race, gender, creed, physical or intellectual ability, religion or sexual preference.

#2.) Language

Hey, I can sometimes curse like a salty seaman in certain situations. We do not have profanity restrictions in our guild channel. However... this does not mean that we all live in the Cut Throat Alley gutter. Please be aware of the way you use explicit language. I don't care if you curse, but I do care if you're cursing AT someone, especially in the negative sense. There is no need to ever use malicious language in the guild channel. Even if the intent is not malicious, understand that it can and often will be interpreted as such. The right to call someone a 'slut' or 'bitch' as a term of endearment is a privilege that one needs to earn. (Adeena had to put out before she could call me 'nubcake' and 'hippy', and she says it with lurve and affection.)

Examples of Explicit Language in Guild Chat:

Bad: "I fucking hate you, you FUKCING JACKASS n00b!"
Better: "I fucking hate my new cloak, it clashes with my bracers!"
Best: "Awww, I fucking <3 you guys!!!"

Get what I'm saying here? No personal attacks!

And please do not abuse the free speech -- know when to tone it down! In this guild, the squeaky wheel does not get the cheese. The squeaky wheel gets /ignored.

(By the way, one of my personal peeves is the all-caps thing. Seriously now, once in a blue moon to make a point is fine, but constant abuse of the CapsLock will wear my stalwart patience down real quick.)

"You don't have to be funny or charming or cuddly, just don't be an obnoxious jerk -- and try not to overdo the l337speak or abuse the CapsLock, unless it's in an ironic jest sort of way."

#3.) Attitude

So maybe I am a hippy (minus the Birkenstocks sandals, shaggy mullet and tie-dye t-shirt), as I am a staunch believer in friendship, kindness and compassion (and let's not forget the 'free love' *wink*). I am also, as many of you know, very mellow and low-key. That is the vibe I set out for when I started the Emerald Guard, and that is the vibe I wish to maintain, as long as I am guildmaster. So if you don't jive with our vibe, then don't torture yourself, or us.

If you are any of the following, the Emerald Guard is not the right guild for you:

• angry and/or bitter
• antagonistic and perpetually contrary without good reason
• unnecessarily difficult
• bossy and/or pushy
• just plain bitchy
• incessantly whiny
• annoying

If you are any of the above, I am not saying that you're ostracized from our guild for your attitude -- I am saying that there are guilds out there that much better cater to your personality IC and/or OOC. As they say in advertising and marketing, know your target audience. There is no point in pitching a hate campaign on the guild channel to a bunch of happy Teldrassil-hugging hippies like us.

If the Emerald Guard was an international city, it would be Amsterdam, where our priorities revolve around pleasure and brownies, and the expansion of our thriving red light district. There's no point in trying to sell the Dutch on the superiority of the cactus over the tulip. Save your breath and energy for someplace else that would appreciate you just the way you are.

"Low-maintenance, courteous players that are good sports with a sense of humor and understanding of real-life obligations are more than welcome."

#4.) Thems Is Fightin' Woids!

So let's say some of you guys are ready to duke it out, and you just want to sock each other in the face, Fight Club style. Or you've finally gone off your rocker and you're ready to burst in an angry rampage and tear someone a new arse. Or say that two of you want to insult each other with snaps until the dawn comes up. I honestly couldn't give two tangy clams for the most part. Just don't do it in guild chat. Take it outside, take it to whispers, take it to general, take it to the forums, whatever. Our guild channel is not to be used as a soap box, a rant/vent forum, nor a platform for debate. It should only be used for friendly and supportive conversation, or the occasional hawt guild orgy. The end. Capish?

#5.) Enforcement

Though I've never had to do this before, I will for the time being, enforce the ranking system. If I receive three separate complaints about anyone, they will be demoted to the 'nubsauce' rank where the privilege of speaking in the guild channel is removed. Consider it a probation for 48 hours. After which, you will be reinstated, because I do believe that people can change for the better.

However, if I receive another three complaints above the first three, then it will lead to a /gkick. That means it takes SIX separate complaints before you get booted. That's twice the number of chances most people get in life. So never let it get that far.

"Griefers and ninjalooters will be dismissed at our discretion."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Emerald Guard is a small, intimate guild with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere."

Our guild channel is a place where you can just log in, sit back, be casual, mingle or not. Think of it like the "Cheers" bar -- "Where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came." (Literally.) So have a drink and relax, maybe interact in a friendly or at least polite manner. But don't be the belligerent drunk that gets kicked to the curb.

The point of this guild is for everyone to have fun and just enjoy the company of their fellow guildmates at their leisure and discretion. So please don't spoil the vibe and the fun with personal attacks, rude behavior, unnecessary griefing and/or acting out. From this point on, I suggest that everyone please take your Ritalin, smoke some bruiseweed, jerk the gherkin, run around in circles, do whatever it takes to just mellow out and play nice. Spread the love to your fellow guildmates, and focus on the camaraderie and the good times to come. Or you'll unceremoniously meet the blunt end of the [Leather Boot of the Exasperated Guildmaster].

Last edited by Kalielar on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adeena
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:30 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

Kalielar sometimes I feel you have way to much patience for an average human being. I believe you to be one of the nicer people I think I've come across too so needless to say this is somewhat upsetting to hear.

Being an asshat in the guild, to other guildmates non the less, is more or less pissing all over our good intentions. It's being spit on after offering to help someone out.

I don't know what happened, and gawd forbid I find out, but don't let me catch any of this going on. Kalielar will give you a hug and cookie and tell you to calm down, but I'll stab you in the neck and roll you out of the car.
Tulo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:54 am  Reply with quote
Druid

Adeena, I thought I was the nicest person you ever came across. You told me you thought Kali was a bit smelly and that his butt was as big as Utah. Also there was something said about his hair, possible speech impediment, oily skin residue, foot fungus, and general life choices all around. I think I'm remembering right. Ade spit's so much when she speaks I usually just end up walking away before she quits flapping those lips.

Oh and by the way .. I am very funny/ironic/silly/witty/cute. You know all know it, Don't forget it. Razz
Hadvin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote
Hunter

Tulo wrote:
Ade spit's so much flapping those lips.

That sounds like a really neat trick... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adeena
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

Tulo, quit trolling and go resub already! eheh
Kalielar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

Adeena wrote:
I'll stab you in the neck and roll you out of the car.

This is why I <3 you Ade. Very Happy

Tulo wrote:
Don't forget it.

Excuse me, who are you again? Razz

And hey, quit lookin' in the mirror, projection is not healthy.

*demotes Tulo to nubsauce and hands Ade a cookie*

Tryxx
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Tulo wrote:
You told me you thought Kali was a bit smelly and that his butt was as big as Utah. Also there was something said about his hair, possible speech impediment, oily skin residue, foot fungus, and general life choices all around.

Ah, if you only knew how obsessive Kali is about good hygiene.

And to think, I was willing to give you a handjob just to see you in game again! Oh well.

=P
Kalielar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:22 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

Tryxx wrote:
Ah, if you only knew how obsessive Kali is about good hygiene.

And to think, I was willing to give you a handjob just to see you in game again! Oh well.

=P

Seriously. I'm always fresh and clean and well-groomed because you never know when I'll throw down in a hot and passionate orgy with my fellow guildmates.

Oh wait... yeah, I guess after insulting me personally Tulo, you now definitely will never know the joys of that magical experience. Twisted Evil

*posts a large sign that says 'No Handjobs For Tulo'*
*does a little tantric yoga by the beach*
*winks at Tryxx*