Emerald Guard Forum Index
<  Strategies and Guides  ~  Know Your Role - The Guide to Grouping
Adeena
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:43 pm  Reply with quote
Hunter

This is not a guide on how to play your class, or how you grind solo or with a buddy. This guide explains what people 'typically' expect of you when you get into a PuG (pick up group) to run a instance. I realize that all of these classes are capable of FAR more than I've listed below, but again, this is what people are going to typically expect of your class. The reason people expect this style of group play from these classes is because quite frankly, it's what works...

Most groups need to consist of a couple core elements, some times depending on the dungeon its vital that all the roles are filled, and sometimes you could get away with a non-conventional group, these core elements are really dependant on the dungeon:

Tank
(Holds all the aggro, should be the only one getting hit)

Healer
(Keeps everyone on their feet)

Damage Dealer
(Brings the hurt)

Utility
(Class specifics like buffs, mezzes, debuffs, water/food, soul stones, etc etc)

So anyhow, here we are with no further ado, listed in alaphebetical order:

Druid - (Healer, Damage Dealer, Utility)
Groups automatically assume the druid's role in the group is going to be that of a 'healbot'. This is a very close minded in my opinion however as the druid can fill 3 roles and do all of them very well depending on gear and talent spec. In feral (kitty) form druids have awesome damage output, in bear form with the increases can tank rather well and also get some taunting ability, and in caster form can heal respectably well and if spec'd for it, sometimes better than a priest. The most important thing as a druid to remember is to set your groups expectations. If you want to be kitty and eat knee caps you will need to advise your team of such because as before mentioned, they WILL assume you are going to be healing. Also, your mark buff is a really handy buff and highly encouraged, thorns as well but no one is going to complain as much if that fades out...

DO's:
Keep everyone buffed, it helps
-
Back up heal if needed, even if you joined as feral kitty, you CAN heal and if it's needed do it!
-
Off-tank (if needed and healing is being covered) - This doesn't mean pull adds from the tank, but if things get hairy, you can bear out and hold your own (and a mob eheh) while the tank takes a moment to pull their head out.
-
Battle res (30 minute cooldown so use it wisely) the only 'wise' use I couldn't scoff at would be on a priest, or some form of other healer.
-
Did you know you can cure poisons? Well you can, so be a doll

DON'Ts:
As a kitty, don't pull aggro, you have no threat reduction (until 28 in the form of Cower) and unless in bear, you do not tank well. You may be more fluffy, but if you pull aggro as kitty, you're no better than the silly rogue that does it, don't be that druid...
-
Don't battle res some idiot that is going to run off and die immediately, let the priest/pally res the newb. Your ressurect not only costs a regent, but it has a 30 minute cooldown.
-
Don't surprise your group by playing outside your role... If they asked for you to be a DPS kitten, don't bear out taunt mobs and start tanking, if they've requested a healer, they will freak out if you kitty up and start chewing into uglies.

**If the group has invited you on the premise you are to be a healer (or the main healer) you are NEEDED as a healer. While you do excellent damage and in many cases may tank better than your warrior, your group will suffer without healing. Just tell them you don't want to heal if you aren't into that and save everyone a bunch of heartache.**

Hunter - (Damage Dealer, Utility)
The beautiful thing about being a hunter is no one really expects anything out of you. All they want to see you doing is shooting your gun/bow. That being said you as a hunter have a case full of useful skills and if used well can highly affect the outcome of any situation. The one thing you should not expect in a group is for the healer to pay any attention to your pet as such, your pet is not the tank, so please for the love of all that is holy, turn growl off and let the tank do their job.

DO's:
Pull adds off the healers, use your pets or distracting shot, whatever you need to do, if you die fine, but if the healer dies it's catestrophic. The tank will need to reaquire that mob one way or the other and pulling it off a priest who's frantically healing themselves because their being pounded on is much harder (because they are building heal aggro) so sick your pet on that thing, let you pet die fine... Just DONT let that healer go down.
-
Traps, traps are your friend, Icetrap is a decent form of CC if there is no rogue/warlock/mage, use em. 9 times out of 10 you will have to educate your group about trapping an how they are going to work... They're not expected, but could add that extra umph that gets you through the instance.
-
Hunter's mark, I know in a fray it's hard to mark, and shoot, and sting, and send your pet out. You'll find however that people will migrate to the big flashy arrow so if you notice your group out attacking 10 different targets, mark whatever the warrior is on... Groups should ALWAYS focus on one target at a time, even when off-tanking, the off-tank should be hitting whatever the group is focused on while letting the mob take pounds of flesh out of their back.
-
Tracking... Tracking in a instance is very useful for finding those pesky patrols that seem to enjoy sneaking up behind you, so keep tracking up, and in the least don't act surprised when a patrol does sneak up eheh.
-
Flare! If you know there are invisible mobs around or in a particular area, flare it... It won't aggro the mobs but will force them visible for the entire group to see.

DON'Ts:
Don't leave pet growl on, no matter what, you pet will NOT tank better than a warrior/pally, just don't do it. The only time you should flip growl on in a group situation is when you need to peel something off the squishies in the back, an in that case let your pet play with the mob, stay focused on what the group is attacking, they can get to that guy later..
-
Don't pull aggro, believe me, the tank can tank... You don't need to, if you do pull aggro, run the mob back upto the tank and wait for him to peel it off, if he doesn't disengage or feign (pay attention that the mob doesn't B-line for the healer). If you're shooting the same thing the tank is on pulling adds shouldn't be a problem.
-
If you do have aggro, and your pet is busy an no one else is there to peel that aggro, DO NOT feign or disengage. That mob WILL run straight for the healer, who will then be unable to heal anyone. If you are going to die that's fine, you can be ressed later... If the healer dies though it's all over and you're both running back.

Mage - (Damage Dealer, Utility)
You're role in the party as sad as it may seem, is to sheep (CC=Crowd Control) and provide conjured water/food for anyone that may need it. You also have the best intelligence buff in the game an anyone with a mana bar will be expecting that from you. As a mage regardless of the way you're spec'd you can do incredible damage, in fact you many times will have to work hard NOT to pull aggro off the tank, but I assure you, when people say 'we need a mage!' they are not thinking about your fireballs... They are thinking about sheeps and water.

DOs:
Sheep, sheep sheep!! If there are more than one sheepable mobs beating on the party its YOUR job to sheep 'em. If someone breaks mezz (and they will) sheep it again, and again if needed. Crowd control is VERY important as it makes difficult fights MUCH MUCH easier to manage.
-
If they have a mana bar, buff em... Don't wait for someone to ask for Arcane Intelligence, I assure you, they are expecing it from you, and your party having more mana, means less down time, which means a quicker run for you.
-
Ask if anyone wants water, if no one answers ask again I assure you someone does. While the role of "Vending machine" may not seem appealing, it is for the same reason buffing is. Quicker recovery from down times mean more quickly running through a instance.
-
Frost Nova is your friend, it tacks uglies to the floor which can make a chaotic situation much easier to get a hold of. A popular method for sheeping is to run up, nova, wait to see what everyone picks to pound on, then sheep the off mob. Also, if anything runs for your healer, nova! It will give the tank/off-tank that much more time to re-aquire aggro.
-
Decurse, you have the ability to remove some negative magical affects, use it!

DON'Ts:
Don't pull aggro... Ever, you wear paper thin armor and it shows when you're getting hit. No one likes it when you pull aggro especially the healers as it means they have to work harder keeping your squishy arse alive. Unfortunately because you 'drop bombs like Hiroshima' this means your are going to have to be very cautious about your nuking. Start off slow to test the waters, maybe you have an awesome tank that can hold aggro no matter what you throw at the ugly, but most likely, you're going to have to give the tank a couple seconds to lock in aggro which means don't start off big, start off small.
-
Don't let people break your sheep, it's counter productive and a waste of your mana, you tell em, in group and LOUDLY if you need to. They are affecting the whole group when they break your sheep cause everyone has to pick up the slack.
-
Don't melee, there is no such thing in WoW as a battlemage, a couple good AoE bombs from a mob and you will drop like a sack of bricks, and I assure you this isn't going to make the priest happy (they sort of take deaths personally, it's their job after all). Stay back, away from the fray, and nuke the hell out of stuff... If you're in a situation where you are actually hitting something with your melee weapon something has gone drastically wrong, and most likely on YOUR end. If you want to conserve mana that's fine, and common, this is what wands are for, the only thing you should be using your melee weapon for are the stat bonuses.
-
AoE, unless you've cleared it first with your healer, it's pretty safe to assume that AoE'ing is not going to make anyone happy, so just don't do it. Furthermore, be concious of the nova area of effect, if something is CC'd, be it sheeped, sap'd, seduced or froze anything will wake it up, that handy dandy frost nova loses all appeal if by tacking one mob, you wake another.
-
You can only have 1 sheep at a time, every mage learns this lesson the hard way. If you're going to sheep again (with having something already sheeped) it's important to know that whatever WAS sheeped is going to poof out of being a sheep the minute you sheep something else, and they are going to be SUPER pissed at you for turning them into wool. Alternatively however, it is possible to recast sheep on something that is still sheeped, if you know your CC is going to break soon, but you need that ugly to stay wooled up, just re-cast sheep on em.

Paladin - (Utility, Healer, Off-tank)
Have you ever seen someone spamming for a group actually ask for a paladin? Want to know why that is? Paladins CAN wear the same armor as a warrior, but they can't hold aggro to save their lives (or usually the rogue/mage's life), crit-odins are still really crappy in the DPS department, even as full holy or retrib spec'd you aren't there to do damage, if the party wanted damage they'd get a rogue/mage/hunter/druid/ hell even warlocks have better damage than a crit-odin. Healing, you're heals are to much for to little, even if fully spec'd to aid in healing they just aren't enough (in most cases) to 'main heal' a party, as such, you're only ever really expected to off-heal in a pinch... So why have a pally? They can't tank, they can't damage and they can't heal, what's the point you ask? Buffs, plain and simple folks, it's sad that a holy warrior in plate armor is reduced to a buff bot, but such is life... An the role of a pally, buff buff buff, shield, heal, buff buff buff, aura...

DOs:
Keep everyone buffed, you have some of the best buffs, and TONs of them, you have a buff for every class in the game, use em! (I like to give myself a blessing first, then give the rest of the party their blessings, that way I know when my blessing runs out, everyone else's is about to)
-
Keep a good aura running, usually the armor one is going to be the most popular but some parties prefer the others, so ask, also two paladins can't use the same aura at the same time, so communicate with your team and find out who's doing what.
-
Keep an eye on health bars, yes that's what the healer is for I know, but you are going to hear "why didn't you heal?!" if someone actually drops, usually the only person I worry about is the healer, I let them take the flak for anyone else.
-
Cleanse, you have a cleanse, use it... No one else seems to...
-
Off-tank if needed, you're wearing the same armor the warrior is, if there's a lose mob and no way to CC it (assuming the tank can't handle another add) let it beat on you.
-
Bubble, you have a gawd bubble, use it wisely... If the priest is about to go down, use your blessing of protection on em, it will save their arse (should be followed by a heal as I believe blessing keeps them from casting).
-
Lay on Hands, the single most overpowered heal in the game... That is also the single most ignored skill. With my paladin I never used this thinking "Now is not the right time" once I started using it more and more, I realized that 1 hour cooldown (45 w/ talent) actually isn't all that long of a wait (time flies) if grouped, this should usually be researved for the healer or tank (they are the two most important people in the group).
-
Seal of Justice, judge it... If you are in a situation where everything seems to be running off, judge seal of justice it prevents running and makes for a smoother fight.

DONT:
Concecration is pretty, we all know... It also breaks about every CC there is, so please if you 'have' to use your shiny floor tiles, make sure there are no CC'd mobs near-by.
-
Apply the wrong buffs, mages don't want might, and rogues don't want wisdom... Furthermore, the threat reduction buff is typically best suited for squishies (priests/mages/warlocks) or anyone that seems to pull aggro without a way to get rid of it... I usually apply what buff I think they should have, and if no one bitches, I leave it. Blessing of Wisdom for anything with a mana bar, and Blessing of Might for anyone that likes to bash stuff... I view the hate reduction one as sort of a 'punishment' if you keep pulling aggro off the tank, you're loosing wisdom/might, and getting that instead.
-
Bubble at the wrong time, bubble will save your arse yes, you will lose all aggro to your teammates but hey, you're still alive right? Well, unfortunately, the only other person in any party more hated (by the mob) than the taunt spamming warrior, is the heal happy priest, if there are lose mobs after you bubble, I assure you, they are instead going to eat your priest... Then come back for you when your shiny bubble pops...

Priest - (Healer)
A role in a group couldn't get defined more clearly, all anyone ever expects a priest to do is heal, that's it. Now, most priest go shadow (for solo) until 59 to make progression easier, which is fine, but realize that you are being invited to the party to fufil the role of healer, damage dealers are a dime a dozen, and most with better armor, we want you here for healing that is all. Trickiest part about being a priest is aggro managment, anyone can play 'wack-a-mole' with health bars, but doing it and keeping your aggro down in a heated situation is almost like quantum physics. It requires that on top of monitoring everyone's health and making sure they don't have a debuff, you also have to pay attention to the mobs and aggro, if a mob isn't fixed and you throw out a big heal it will run you down... The only thing more affective than a taunt is a heal, it's important to know which mobs are where...

DOs:
Mana mangement is a huge deal, running out of mana as a main healer could spell disaster so practice a few combinations until you've found what works best. Typically you'll find, that your big heal is going to get used most (if being mana concious) this means you'll want to see your main tank (preferably a warrior/paladin - someone who has nice damage reduction) hit about 50-70% before you start to wind up your heal... Shield if needed, but spamming renews and flash heals doesn't carry the bang for your 'mana' buck.
-
Cure, you can cure disease/magic effects so use it, no one else seems to pay attention to these debuffs and they really affect the groups output, try to stay on top of keeping everyone tip top.
-
Keep that fortitude buff running, it's extra hit points, which means a larger margin of error for you... Which is nice considering people tend to get real edgy when they die.
-
Fade, if you get or think you're about to get aggro FADE! It helps... Considering heal 'hate' builds the more (and bigger) heals you throw out (including the one's on yourself) if something is beating on the priest, who's using 100% of their heals keeping themselves alive it's difficult to peel a mob...
-
Set priorities for you heals, sometimes it's better for the whole group to let the aggro happy rogue or mage die in order for everyone to make it through and encounter. You're favorite people should be the tanks (damage mitigation and taunts), 2nd highest priority is YOU, 3rd is anyone that can save your arse if you pull aggro... 4th is pets and anything else...
-
Be VERY vocal when you run out of mana, including needing a break in between fights to mana up... I like to use the /oom (to get the audio voice over) as well as saying something in group chat... Heals are good, no mana is bad.
-
Shackle, you can CC undead mobs... Which means you are fill in for the mage in the CC department if you're surrounded by skelletons...

DON'Ts:
Don't DOT (Damage Over Time / Shadow word: Pain) mobs that are not being attacked, this prevents any sort of CC and will build unecesary aggro.
-
Waste mana, if a mage (for instance) pulls aggro and can't lose it, you will burn up large ammounts of mana trying to keep them alive, if they don't seem to understand that, let 'em die a few times... Running a instance is a GROUP effort, if you have someone that isn't a team player, no one is going to mind if you let 'em know...
-
Melee, for the same reason mage's shouldn't melee, your armor is paper thin... The only thing you should be using your melee weapon for are the stats, if you want to do some mana free damage, get a wand.
-
Mind Blast, this causes a insane amount of aggro and unless the mobs is completely fixated on a taunt happy warrior, it will break and make a B-line for the priest who thinks they're a mage, also, do you really have the extra mana to burn on this?
-
Psychic Scream, never fear in a dungeon, sometimes it'll save your arse, more often however it will send the mob running into a pack of mobs that will all break and pummel you.
-
Don't lose your cool if you pull aggro, don't run around like a chicken with no head, stay calm! Some helpful things to do would be let everyone in groupchat know you're being pummeled (they may not be paying attention) and next CALMLY bring the mob upto the tank or anyone that is going to peel it off you... Know this, the more heals you cast on yourself at this point, the harder it is going to be to peel the mob off you.

Rogue - (Damage Dealer)
The rogue joins the party for one purpose, and only one purpose, to open up a can of whoop ass. Other than pure and simple damage the rogue has very limited utility, and as such it isn't very hard to do your job well. Alternatively, sap is a very good form of CC vs. humanoid mobs (though your groups are going to assume you can sap anything that moves) and the lockpicking ability is also handy dandy when you trip over the occasional locked chest. The only real trick to a rogue is not getting aggro, while it may not seem like it, for a rogue it's a real art to 'not' pull aggro off the tank.

DOs:
Poisons, use em, love em... They are a class specific ability and your damage is 'balanced' assuming you are using your poisons, so if you're not, in effect you are gimping yourself. Also, cripling poison is excellent for keeping run happy mobs moving slow which is a bonus!
-
Sap! Seems many teams goal is to wipe through the instance as fast as possible, which typically means they are going to charge head long into groups and fall back on healing. Some teams will have the 'smats' to ask, other's won't even consider it, but sap is a very effective for of CC and can make a challenging fight child's play.
-
Feign, any time you pull aggro feign, stop spamming your 'omGl33t!" special attacks, and try to feign again. The key is not holding aggro, even with evasion running you do not take damage very well and shouldn't try it, so feign that aggro off you as soon as possible!
-
Evasion is a good ability for the occasion that you end up with aggro that holds for any considerable amount of time (which is say more than 2 or 3 swings). You aren't as squishy as say a mage, but may as well be, it helps slightly and anything that helps is appreciated so if you pull aggro (after you try a feign) hit your evasion and hope for the best.

DON'Ts:
Try to refrain from pick-pocketing in instances, we know they have super duper 'phat l3wt!' in the form of broches and crests, but should you slip up an aggro a couple things when the party is not prepared it could send a smooth run downhill quickly... So please, try to contain yourself.
-
Pull aggro, no! Bad naughty rogue!
-
Vanish near a priest, for the same reason a hunter shouldn't feign death, if the tank has lost aggro to you and has yet to reaquire, there is a very good chance that the next highest person on the critters 'hate list' is the priest. while the priest will appreaciate that you are no longer tanking, they are not going to like that now they are, so be careful with vanish on instance runs.
-
In a group with a warrior, never ever ever 'expose armor' it keeps the warrior from using their sunder, which is the bread and butter of holding aggro most of the time, don't be that rogue.
-
Gouge adds, or anything else for that matter... It may seem helpful to stun a add for a couple seconds, but that puts YOU on its hit list, furthermore gouging something the group is working to kill has little affect other than draining energy points, no real point in it.

Warlock - (Damage Dealer, Utility)
What are these evil feckers good for anyways? Wipe prevention via soul stones I suppose... Warlocks can have pretty nice DPS if spec'd right as well as pets who are helpful (if the right one is pulled out). They also bring health stones to the table which are a big party favorite.

DOs:
Be concious of which pet is out and why, there is no point in having your sucubutt out in a creature/undead filled dungeon, and if fighting all non-magic using mobs, your felhound won't do you much good. On a side note, everyone loves the health boost and DPS your imp provides, but the off-tanking your blueberry can provide is sometimes wanted as well.
-
Soul stone the RIGHT person! Soul stones (in groups) are for wipe prevention, meaning if everyone in the party should drop dead RIGHT NOW, which one should have it? Soul stones should always go to, paladins, priests and druids (in that order) they all have res yes, but druids has a cooldown and regent cost, and if the paladin should res at a bad time at least they can take a couple hits while they res the priest.
-
Hand out those health crystals, I know it's expensive shard wise but they could mean the differnece between life and death. If you want to be a tight ass with the shards, at least give the main tank and the priest one each...
-
Use the right curses on the right mobs, have a caster mob use curse of tongues for instance... While you can always apply the same curse over and over again, you can also be more effective by being more concious about what your cursing.
-
Use that banish! I know it won't get used much, but its some times the only affective means of CC on elementals and demons and you will be expected to use it, should the need arise.

DON'Ts:
Don't ever, never ever fear in a dungeon... It may get the uglies off you, or away from your buddy, but it's bad news bears when they decide to run screaming into the next room only to bring back their friends.
-
Pull aggro, usually it's by complete accident I know, but you really have no means of losing the hate so just try to avoid it.
-
Searing Pain, unless the mob is fixated completely on the warrior, this spell causes a large amount of aggro and as stated above, you'll have no way of losing it unless someone peels the mob off you.
-
Don't melee, for the same reason mages and priests shouldn't... You have paper thin armor! You should only using your melee weapons for the stats, if you want mana free damage, get a wand.

Warrior - (Tank)
True gluttons for punishment, the sole role of a warrior in a group (assigned main tank) is to soak up the damage. Warriors sometimes are confused into thinking they should be doing damage but this isn't the case, anyone can deal out damage, but not everyone can soak up the hits like a warrior can. Your goal in life should be to collect every loose mob and make sure they are focused on ripping you apart! If you are 'main tanking' you should be using your 'sword and board' (shield) to improve your armor rating, which in turn improves your damage mitigation, which in turn makes your priest very happy... If you are a warrior in a group and are not main tank, then go buck wild, use that big 2-handed cleaver of doom, but don't pull aggro. Be concious about rage generation, rage builds two fold, with each damaging attack you hit with, and every time you take damage... As such, it's vital you have the uglies beating your head in, without rage you can't effectively use your specials, which means limited taunting, and a warrior who can't us specials is just a very gimp paladin with no heals.

DOs:
Use your shield and try to stay in defensive stance (for the amor boost and taunt) again, if you are main tank you are not expected to do damage, you are only expected to hold aggro... Period, no one is going to complain their tank is gimp if they don't lose aggro even if you come in dead last on the damage charts.
-
Taunt, taunt, taunt if you're in the party playing meatshield no one but you should ever take hits (We can dream eh eheh), if a mob breaks off you and runs for someone else, catch it, and drag it back.
-
Sunder Armor is your friend, it not only stacks to create one hell of a armor debuff but the more you stack it, the more hate you generate... If you manage to stack all 5 sunders on a target, it is VERY hard to lose aggro, which is your goal....
-
Shout, keep that shout going... I know it burns rage which is typically better used on sunder or taunts, but a buff is a buff
-
Hamstring runners, this requires battle stance so some 'stance dancing' might be required, but runners are about as bad as a feared mob, if no one else is going to step upto the plate and keep things from running, assume the responsibility.
-
Shield bash that caster! Assuming your being a good little warrior, with a shield out, you have the ability to shield bash. Which builds high ammounts of hate (yummy) but more impressively also prevents the target from casting that school of magic for a couple seconds, best used on heals.
-
Assign a off-tank if the mobs hit to hard... If you can only take on 2 or 3 mobs at a manageable rate (meaning the priest can outheal the damage) let someone else deal with the 4th mob or any adds, preferably someone with equally good armor, like a paladin or druid in bear form...

DON'Ts:
Don't pretend you've been invited along to flex your e-peen, you're there to soak up damage... If you can do this in battle-stance or berserker stance, fine, if your damage taken is still managable without a shield that's also fine... Damage dealers are a dime a dozen, your sole purpose is to take all the heat with the most amount of mitigation (high armor rating). If your purpose in a group is to see how high on the damage meter you can get, you should have rolled a rogue.
-
Don't pull if you don't know what your doing... It's easy enough to taunt the target once someone else pulls it, but if you charge into a group of 4 or 5 the ish is going to hit the fan, and it's not going to be the priest's fault for 'not healing'... So if you're not comfortable pulling, just leave it up to the professionals.
-
Don't let people pull aggro off you, if you're having a problem with someone (usually nuke happy mages or silly rogues) tell them. It's counter-productive to the whole team for either of them to take aggro. You don't build rage as well, the priest has to kick it into double time and it's generally just more hectic all together, so communicate as needed.
-
Don't run around like a tard if you're about to die, just stand there and suck it up. No matter what you do at this point, you're dead, you can't heal, you don't have any sort of escape method, you're screwed live with it. There is a very good chance someone is doing something in the way of winding up a heal for you, if you hit 10% health and run off around a corner the whole party is screwed for sure.

Questions and comments are more than welcome!
Special thanks to Tulo for proofing!
Tryxx
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:25 am  Reply with quote

Dude, that was AWESOME.

And, words to live by for anyone, really:

Adeena wrote:
Don't run around like a tard if you're about to die

LMAO
Kalielar
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:45 am  Reply with quote
Druid

Adeena, thanks for taking the time to write up this nifty Classes in Party guide -- it was both very informative and amusing (hehe "succubutt" - whip! moan!). I admit to being a total nubbynub newbcake, not just to WoW, but to MMOs in general. I think I've got the social and looting aspects down (for the most part), and now I hope to further improve my playstyle. Though I've read everything I could find, the conflicting arguments about how to play, spec and equip a Druid are mind-boggling -- which I guess is sort of typical for the hybrid classes. So it was excellent to read a straight-forward and also flexible guideline for us nature-types. I still sometimes forget when I'm supposed to be in the caster zone or in the melee zone (blame the [fadeleaf], because I do), but reading your descriptions and do's/don'ts of all the classes really helps me better understand all the roles in general, and therefore better grasp the flexibilities of the Druid. Your post will definitely be a re-read for me whenever I get muddy (or complacent) about my role in a party situation.

Some days I forget that I can also do other things rather than just standing still like a fir tree in healbot-mode, and other days I overzealously make the mistake of trying out everything I can do all at once. And some days it all goes swimmingly in a blaze of glory. So sometimes I kick ass and sometimes I just plain suck it. Well, at the very least, I'll continue to play and experiment and I hope to learn even more from my mistakes and successes and eventually get an überl337 handle on my playstyle -- your post has already helped.

By the way, the concept of aggro (specifically in this MMO environment where classes are dependent on other classes to survive) has been the bane of my online existence -- it's like trigonometry meets rocket scientry for me, and sometimes I'm still a little confused about how it exactly works and why. (Especially since we often don't have a warrior for tanking.) It's like this mental block I have that's probably leftover from years of me playing first-person-shooters and scrolling-arcade games where you are supposed to be the punching-bag, and everything is supposed to come at you all at once and jump your bones, so you just keep on swinging away like Babe Ruth until you can't swing no more. (Clearly, WoW is a lot more complex than DigDug, I've since discovered.) So I wasn't sure what exactly draws aggro -- my heal spells or my 'staff-poke' for example? Well, reading all the guides to aggro management just confused me even more, and in the chaos of most fights I don't know half of what's going on until it's too late. That is...... until I found this wonderful add-on: Aggro Alert! I just installed it yesterday and you can set it to three different modes (healer, tank or dps). After visually seeing who pulls aggro after a specific move or combo (which I view in the Combat Log), it suddenly sort of clicked for me -- like an epiphany! And then, I also installed another add-on called PartyCombatGizmo that not only tells me dps stats, but also shows me how many mobs are attacking a specific party member. Seriously, these add-ons made a world of a difference to me, being able to actually visualize aggro -- especially since most of the time my eyes are hyperfocused on everyone's dwindling health bars and my mana bar, and not on the fight itself. (I had no idea what Van Cleef looked like until I did Deadmines with Jorielar -- who knew his armor was a salmon and cornflower blue combination? Hideous!) Aggro Alert in particular has been handy both as a healer (now I know who is tanking, whether or not they're supposed to) and also when I'm playing the hunter (now I know exactly what I did to call aggro to myself, and exactly how many mobs have thus set their eyes and jaws on my nuggets). So for those of you that were also having issues with the concept of aggro, and want to know which of your moves draws it, definitely try these add-ons -- they help define your party role better in the heat of battle.

/thanks Adeena
/thanks the creators of the nifty add-ons
/bursts into dance
/accidentally aggros three dozen vicious buzzards
/yells OOPS!
/runs around like a tard

Kalielar
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:36 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

/bump

If you haven't thoroughly read Ade's Know Your Role - Guide to Pick Up Groups yet, please do. (There will be a pop quiz!) Seriously though, learn your role for dungeon instances, and while you're at it, learn everyone else's role too. This knowledge will not only help improve gameplay and the whole cooperative dungeon experience, but it will also save you the grief of causing group wipeouts and having people scream "LERN2PLAY!" whilst throwing virtual rocks at you. Dungeon instances are challenging enough as it is, so it really helps to implement the class and group strategies that actually work to make it easier for everyone.

So please read the above guide, it only takes a few minutes. Read it, absorb it, love it, tattoo it on your stomach. As Duke and Lady Jaye once said: KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

p.s. And while you're at it, please read the Need vs Greed vs Pass Guide to Looting for the extra credit. I think the only thing that gets players all bent out of shape even more than playing your class badly, is rolling for Bind on Pickup items that you don't need.