Emerald Guard Forum Index
<  Strategies and Guides  ~  20 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me
Kalielar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:08 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

If I were as rich as Daddy Warbucks, I would purchase the BradyGames Official Guide to WoW for every single one of you for Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanza/Canadian Boxing Day. But since I've got nothing but Chapstick in my pocket today, I'll at least post a few excerpts here for you guys to enjoy.

(As I've noted before, though knockin' on level 60, I still consider myself a nubcake and I enjoy learning new and really neat things about WoW, MMORPGs in general, and how to better play my characters every day. So if you guys have any tips and suggestions about interface, cooperative gameplay, key-bindings, methods and strategies, etc. please post them -- especially things that may not be very obvious in the beginning.)

Kalielar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:09 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

20 Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me:
(Excerpts from the Bradygames Official Guide to WoW)

1. You can't put a SPACE in your name.
2. WASD and the arrow keys are your movement keys.
3. SHIFT + B or SHIFT + Left Clicking on any bag opens all your bags.
4. T targets the closest enemy and TAB toggles between targets.
5. Monsters that come up as "Red" on your indicator are aggressive and will attack if you get too close!
6. Pull abilities/spells from your ability menu/spellbook to your Hotbar to access them quickly. (This is also true for the Throwing/Shooting/Fishing abilities.)
7. NumLock (or Clear for Mac users) is AutoRun.
8. Different icons on your pointer indicate what type of NPC/object you're targeting and whether you can interact with them.
9. M opens your map. You'll reveal more of your region map by exploring.
10. Most trainers reside in the capital cities.
11. You don't have to equip your Skinning Knife, Blacksmith's Hammer, etc. to perform your craft. You simply have to have it in your inventory.
12. SHIFT + Left Clicking on item/quest during chat will link it to the chat window.
13. Murlocs are evil.
14. Not all races can speak to one another. Alliance and Horde members can't understand what the other side is saying.
15. The Right Mouse button controls the camera and can be a keyless substitute for strafing.
16. SHIFT + Right Clicking is the key to inventory management. While shopping, this allows you to purchase/sell more than one item at a time. You can choose the amount of money during a trade and split items in your own inventory.
17. When purchasing an item from another player, you'll need to pull coins from your backpack.
18. If your breath gauge expires while you're in water, so do you!
19. Different colored items have different quality. Gray items are inferior and white are standard. Green, blue, purple and other colored items are the "special" ones.
20. Stop reading and go play!

Last edited by Kalielar on Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kalielar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:11 pm  Reply with quote
Druid

The DO's and DON'Ts
(Excerpts from the Bradygames Official Guide to WoW)

DO!
Play to have fun
Make friends and skilled allies
When grinding, focus on XP per hour not XP per kill
Use inns and capital cities to accumulate more rest time when logging out
Use your hearthstone to get home quickly
Find high quality food and water for your level (downtime should be minimized)
Fight creatures below your level for fast kills (good for money, solo XP)
Ask questions if you become frustrated, lost or confused
Try to find things out on your own before asking for help
Use chat channels to alert others when going after wandering quest targets (e.g. The Defias Messenger)
Keep undead out of direct sunlight and tr not to feed them between noon and dusk
Stay in groups while others finish their quests
Agree on party goals, loot rules and duration of play before setting out
Apologize if you do something that gets people killed
Listen to experienced players and share experiences that you gain with others
Say "Good Group" at the end of the night and thank everyone who came along
Try to type in coherent English so that everyone understands you
Understand when others don't type perfectly with 16 Murlocs on their backs
Use item enhancements even at early levels (learn about enchanting, armor patches and blacksmithing upgrades even if you don't use those professions)
Raise your reputation with neutral factions for added quests
Avoid killing city-based NPCs unless you don't care about gaining a bad reputation
Look through the Auction House to learn about normal prices; try to avoid impulse buying before you know what things are worth

DON'T
Be forced into playing a certain way if it doesn't feel right
Let stats or trends keep you from making the character you want
Get locked into a single character (the classes are too enjoyable to try just one)
Be afraid to ask for help, buffs or directions
Demand things from other players (such as help, buffs or directions) [Hey Adeena, CAN I HAV UR RING. PLZ?!!! *chuckle*]
Spam group, guild or duel invites to anyone
Steal boss mobs, chests or resources from groups that are trying to fight over to those things
Call Tauren cows, all-beef patties, burgers or big game
Be greedy about drops that other players can use when you cannot
Forget to sleep at some point (you need to get bonus experience sometime)
Get angry at the other faction; get even and enjoy it!
Leave your group hanging (if you say five minutes, try to mean five minutes)

Kalielar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:16 am  Reply with quote
Druid

Things I Had To Learn On My Own:

Also, from my own personal experiences I learned that:

It really does pay off to RTFM, RFTQuestLog and RTFGuildRules. Razz (If you don't have the patience for reading a lot of text, World of Warcraft is just simply not the game for you.)
Gray items are usually vendor trash so sell 'em off quick.
Not all gray items are vendor trash -- some like the soft bushy tail and the cat figurine can be used for certain quests and special drops. (There's even a debated theory about the notorious rabbit's foot.)
LFM means Looking For More, not Looking For Manwhore.
Key-binding your most frequently used actions makes life a whole lot easier, as does creating macros.
F13 takes a screenshot (before I was using the Mac screenshot command instead).
Option + Z (or ALT + Z for PC users) turns off the User Interface so you can take a screenshot without all the buttons and text in the way.
You can turn your mini map off.
Sundays are a good day to auction off uncommon items and to find cheap trade goods at the AH.
If you decide to give WoW to your friends for the holidays, be sure they have a two-button mouse.
Don't kill NPC vendors or civilians -- you'll get dishonor points. It helps to not join RAIDs with trigger-happy fools that will inevitably kill that innocent mushroom vendor by Tarren Mill. Crying or Very sad
There are a lot more emotes than /moon.
Speccing your talent points are a good thing to do. (Once a level 38 Warlock asked me, "What's a talent point?")
You can only have two primary professions (say Skinning and Leatherworking) but you can take all the secondary professions (cooking, first aid and fishing).
Tailoring and Enchanting are a good combination because you can sew uncommon items and disenchant them for dusts.
Crafting professions are fun but sometimes hard (and expensive) to level up. If you only care about the gold, stick to gathering skills like mining and skinning.
Weapons don't proc when you're shapeshifted -- they're only good for the stats.
Just because a squishy has a huge staff doesn't mean he should poke anyone with it. (This is true in real life as well.)
There's no 'perfect' gear for one class, it depends on what you're doing.
The Elixir of Dream Vision potion only lasts like 30 seconds -- don't accidentally drink one in Ironforge. It's kinda disappointing if you do. Save it for when you're someplace scary and need to peek around the corner.
Try not to kill the chickens in Westfall, even though it would make me giggle if you did.
When selling enchantments, make sure the customer has enough money to pay you first. (Long story. Just don't buy the mats for them until after they've coughed up the dough.)
There are many super mind-boggling turdwads in Azeroth and you will undoubtedly get pissed off by someone (or you may in turn piss someone else off). LERN2PLAYNICE but when all else fails, just step back, dust off your shoulders and /ignore.
The word "PLZ" really gets my goat. But even worse is when someone writes "PLZPLZPLZplzplzplzPLZPLZ!1!1!!!!" Wouldn't it take a whole lot less time to just write "Please"?
There are just as many letters in 'shammy' as there are in 'shaman'.
Generally, people should try to curb their sense of entitlement. If I simply don't know you and we're not the best of pals, please don't ask me for free gold/rare drops/mageweave/sex.

That's all I could come up with. Anyone else have any tips?

Last edited by Kalielar on Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Tryxx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:20 am  Reply with quote

YOUR ALL DUMB

a.k.a. Things I learned from Thottbot.com

WTF HAX N00B PWNED NOOBLITE HAVE SOME NOOBCAKE, YOU GET A FREE MOUNT AT 40 WTF HAX N00B PWNED NOOBLITE HAVE SOME NOOBCAKE.

love,
Tryxx
Razz

Last edited by Tryxx on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kalielar
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:35 am  Reply with quote
Druid

Tryxx wrote:
a.k.a. Things I learned from Thottbot.com

YOUR ALL DUMB
WTF HAX N00B PWNED NOOBLITE HAVE SOME NOOBCAKE, YOU GET A FREE MOUNT AT 40 WTF HAX N00B PWNED NOOBLITE HAVE SOME NOOBCAKE.

love,
Tryxx
Razz

Heheh, what a perfect example of Azerothian colloquialisms from my nooblet! (Coincidentally, one of our vew few guild chat rules is: "please try not to overdo the l337speak or abuse the CapsLock." PLZ!!! KTHXBYE!!!!)

Thank you for the nice and tasty chunk of noobcake, it goes great with my nubmug of coffee.

Kalielar
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:45 am  Reply with quote
Druid

I've been playing at WoWwiki all day and found a short Tips & Tricks page with a couple of key shortcuts, auto-loot (shift + right click), combat tips and a guide to Buffing Up For Battle.

p.s. I never knew until I read this that when a key-shortcut number on your hotbar is white, you are in range for a ranged ability, power, spell, or weapon (auto-shoot for bows, guns and wands). When the key-shortcut number is red, you are out of range. Huh. Neat.